Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The 30 day challenge!

I saw Supreeth's post on Twitter and figured I needed a challenge too. You should totally read his post to see what he's taken up as challenges. I have several things to take up including some of my resolutions this year that I haven't even started working on.

I love TED Talks and a lot of them have highly influenced my life. Matt Cutts' TED talk is one of them. However, as lazy as I am, it took a post by Supreeth to get me going.  Here are my list of challenges.

1. Like Supreeth, I'd like to move to hankies too.
I actually already did. I went and bought myself a packet (they sell 4 dainty ones - so pretty!) the other day from the 4th Block Jayanagar shopping complex. In the area I live (Whitefield), I'm guessing I will get designer ones or none! However, since I bought them I've been afflicted with the most horrible cold ever. Only, I forgot how bad my colds are. I'm known to have finished an entire tissue box in my Google days thanks to my cold.

So, obviously these dainty hankies are only meant for dainty aunties and not me! I need those large white handkerchiefs used by men. I should raid Appa's cupboard for those.

2. Running
I try to run everyday and so far, it's happening with breaks in between. I want to be able to run continuously for all the 30 days just to make it a habit.

3. Gymming
I go on and off. Now, all the 30 days.

4. Sweep and mop the house 2 days a week myself.
 I don't have a maid. I think maids in this area change exorbitantly and extremely rude. While I'm usually generous, their rudeness and 'taking me for granted' ness put me off. So, no maids. I live in an area where dust accumulates at home. I aim to sweep, mop and dust the house every 2-3 days for this month. That makes it twice a week and 8 times a month. I think it's perfectly do-able.

5. Learning to say no.
 I kept the most important challenge for the end. You know how people say that while they miss India a lot while living abroad, they'd any day live away from family and all that. That's not true of AB or me. Okay, maybe AB to a certain extent since he's anti social. I'm very social and I came back to India only because I missed India, the noisiness of family around us. Basically, I wanted to meet all my nieces and nephews, all my cousins when they fly in to meet their parents from different parts of the world. And what better place than India!

However, I under-estimated my need for space in India. It's very different when you are single and living with friends. It's almost as if you have permission to have fun and do what you want and skip family gatherings or functions. Life is not the same when you're married. AB and I haven't had a weekend to ourselves. I have myself to blame for that. I have way too many friends, way too many familial obligations and way too many social niceties to adhere to.  So, as a couple, we've decided to put our foot down. We will still be active socially (I will die if I don't see anyone but AB) but prioritize us over anything or anyone else. And do more fun stuff. Like use the badminton rackets bought 2 weeks ago for a start.

People who know me or have been following me on this blog know that the last 3 years were rocky for me. For us, sometimes. I went into hiding, literally, with my GTalk. I couldn't have thanked Google enough for creating the option of being 'invisible' on GTalk. I remained invisible for 3 full years choosing who I talk to, and when I talk to them. Some of you may find it stupid. In my defence, I was upset and didn't want to answer any questions, even the innocent, truly concerned ones. A lot of you I have actually chatted with are lucky ;)

So, big decision was that from yesterday, I decided to go visible. No more hiding. If I don't want to talk to you or can't talk to you, I'm going to tell you. As it is. I'm not going to not respond unless I'm not at the computer. And that is going to be the first step in saying no.

What are your challenges for the next 30 days? Tell me in your comments.

P.S. I may just use Twitter(@nandiniv) to update everyone on my progress. The hashtag will be #my30days. 

12 comments:

rads said...

Nice initiative, and sure I'll chip in as this summer was supposed to be something along those lines, just not sure if I want to be as open as I used to be before on my blog. That's why am not writing as much.

regardless, the last Gtalk bit, yeah,it also gets better with age.
:-)

So this #30 day thingy, sure count me in. I was making a list on a spreadsheet just yesterday anyway..
Good luck with yours :)

Supreeth said...

Awesome stuff da. So many challenges in 30 days and tough ones at that! I envy your industriousness. Just one addition: In running, how about setting a specific distance or time (2 kms/15 mins). Generally with respect to all the goals it helps to make goals as specific as possible (i've heard. All the besht for the challenge. Hope you pull through in all of your challenges. -@hallidude

Jaapna said...

I hope you talk to me :-) Good luck with your challenge!

Nandini Vishwanath said...

@ Rads: yay! Put up something, note on FB or Twitter, or whatever.

It has gotten better.

@Supreeth: I already run around 5k. Just need to do it more consistently and regularly. But you're right, I should be more specific. This month, if I can run regularly, from next month, maybe I can keep milestones?

@Jaapna: Of course! how have you been? Are you going to take on a challenge too?

kusublakki said...

Nice post Nandu :)

Good luck with the challenge. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll write a new post about the success of these 30 days!

Divya said...

awesome!! great intiative.. I realised when i took up my challenge, if u make sure to keep it up on one of them, the others will fall in place automatically! Wish u luck...

Nandini Vishwanath said...

@Kusublakki: we need to talk!

@Divya: I'm all excited :) So glad to see you've done it. It's highly encouraging, have to admit.

Vasumathi Sridharan said...

yay! I am one of the lucky ones then eh? >:D<

All the best for #my30days !

Me getting inspired by thou.

Sk said...

Good luck! Love such challenges, should take it up..

tingting said...

Excellent, the last push I needed. I also saw the Ted talk with H and he was all like you need to do it. And similarly I thought about it and let it sit. My list is currently being written on me blog. Come by and take a look. and goodluuuuuck!

tingting said...

Being written no I said? Standby. It's turning out to be longer than I anticipated :P

Ree said...

im here after forever and i seriously like the template :) made me happy. green always cheers up.
I think i must be cycling, like u plan to run. i love doing it but for now, its limited to twice a week when i grocery shopping :(
no maids for me too. mumbai maids are a privileged class methinks.